Downs Ford History



Downs Ford began as Lakehurst Motors in 1930, and quickly established a 

reputation for honest and dependable service. Much like the managing family at 

Downs now, Oscar Downs was a hands-on dealer. William Downs, Oscar's son, 

subsequently moved the business to Hyers Street in downtown Toms River and 

eventually to Route 37 near Main Street.




William Downs believed service was the cornerstone of the car business. His 

new Route 37 facility featured a two-car showroom and twenty-two service bays. 

In 1979, three decades later, service manager Nelson "Rick" Riccardi, Sr. and 

sales manager William Arden purchased the business from William Downs. With 

a combined 63 years of service with the company at the time, Rick and Bill were 

well prepared to continue the Downs tradition of excellent service.



As Toms River expanded, so did Downs Ford. Rick and Bill built and opened the 

present Downs facility in 1985. Rick Riccardi, Jr. and Tom Arden had assumed 

responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the business. The hands of time 

continue to produce change. In 2008 Rick and his sister Diane Delia became the  President and Vice-President of Downs Ford, Inc.

Today, Melissa Longo (Rick's Daughter)
  is a third generation dealer, proudly 

continuing the tradition of great Downs customer service.




AdChoices
;